IUFRO Global Change and Forest Health Conference
- IUFRO All Division 7 Conference
- 2016, April 25-29
- University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
64th Western International Forest Disease Work Conference
- 2016, May 9-13
- Sitka, Alaska, USA
IUFRO Meeting "Parasitic flowering plants in forests"
- IUFRO Working Party 7.02.11
- 2016, July 17-22
- Ashland, Oregon, USA
Contact me to add calendar items:
Cartoon courtesy of Ryan Hart, State University of New York Ranger School '95
Forest pathology is the study of tree diseases. In this web site, Forest and Shade Tree Pathology, we cover major diseases of trees, considering their causes (etiology), factors that affect their spread (epidemiology), ecological and economic impacts, and management.
If you are going to spend time learning forest pathology, you should have some reason to think it is important. Consider some of the following aspects:
- The economic losses from tree diseases have been estimated to be higher than those from insects and fire combined.
- The composition, structure and dynamics of plant communities are often determined in part by diseases.
- Some diseases play a role in creating suitable habitats and nesting sites for wildlife.
- Issues such as forest declines and forest health are inextricably tied to forest diseases.